Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Michigan Trip

Back from Jason and I's mini-vacation!  Jason had to head to Michigan for work so I decided to tag along. We started with a VERY early flight on Saturday morning.  We then flew to Baltimore, MD for a 3 hour layover.
Jason trying to get a nap in Baltimore

We finally left Baltimore to head to Flint, Michigan but our trip wasn't over! We had to drive 3 hours to St. Ignace.

St. Ignace is located in the upper peninsula of Michigan and is absolutely gorgeous! You have to cross the Mackinac bridge to get to St. Ignace which is a 5 mile bridge that has Lake Huron on one side and Lake Michigan on the other.  The bridge was one of the most impressive bridges I have ever seen.  

















When we finally got to St. Ignace we decided to go have dinner and a few drinks to celebrate making it through our 12 hour trip.  We went to a Mexican restaurant next door to our hotel and ordered a pitcher of Margaritas. Unfortunately this restaurant was probably one of the worst places we have ever been.  The margaritas tasted like they poured a few of those margarita mixes in a pitcher and added a few shots of tequila.  I am a light weight when it comes to alcohol and I barely felt anything besides a sugar stomachache. The food was not any better.  It was not a great start but the view of Lake Huron and the great weather made up for it.

The next day we decided to head to Mackinac Island.  We took the ferry across and decided to rent bikes since there are no motorized vehicles allowed on the island.  It was a very touristy place but such a cute island.  
On the ferry with the Mackinac Bridge in the background
Waiting for the ferry. Lake Huron is in the background


We rented our bikes and decided to head up to Arch Rock. On the way up the hill we stopped to admire the most famous hotel on the island The Grand Hotel. Very beautiful!
All the cute shops on the main street
The Grand Hotel

Arch Rock was amazing! It was hard to believe that I wasn't looking at the ocean because it was so blue and pretty.  It is huge!

Arch Rock

The view from the top of Arch Rock.  It looks like the ocean!

I got Jason to take a picture with me!!

We then headed back down and stopped at a cafe to have some appetizers and Run Runners.  Yummy!
We then rode around the island on the 8 mile road that goes along the coast.  It was mostly flat so it wasn't that difficult to ride for that long.  The houses along the beach and the view the entire ride were amazing.  I would have taken more pictures but I was just enjoying riding the bike and taking it all in. It was so much fun!
My transportation for the day

The view during our bike ride

Jason is in the background:)

Taking a picture of the amazing view
After 4 hours we finally headed back to town, had a beer, returned our bikes, and headed back to St. Ignace.  Jason was working with the Sault St. Marie and they have the Kewadin Casinos.  We headed over to their St. Ignace casino for dinner and some slot machine fun.
View from the casino
On Monday, Jason had to go do some work so I went and sat on the beach for while before I met him for lunch.  Later that day we decided to head an hour north to Sault St. Marie to see the Soo Locks on the Canada/USA border.  We watched the freighters head into the locks to move along the St. Mary's River that connects Lake Superior with Lake Huron. We headed back to St. Ignace and ended our trip with some yummy ice cream along the coast.  It was a great trip!
Soo Locks.  The bridge in the background takes you to Canada


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had a really great time! Gorgeous location, gorgeous girl, and gorgeous pics! :)

    ReplyDelete